Sunday, February 20, 2011

Inspiration.

Today would have been Kurt Cobain's 44th birthday.



I feel pretty lucky having grown up experiencing grunge music. It felt like I had a choice. I could choose to listen to smarmy, overly romantic pop music or embrace the visceral sound of grunge music. The choice was obvious. Facing my impending teen years, I took a turn towards rock and roll.

Turn back the clocks to a time when MTV actually played music videos. I remember wanting to dress like the cheerleaders in the Smells Like Teen Spirit video like... every day of my life. I loved the weird, dark worlds of Nirvana and Soundgarden and Guns n Roses (don't even get me started on the November Rain video). It finally felt ok to have these strange, sometimes dark thoughts, which is great, because I know that when I was a kid, I wasn't sure if that was wrong or not.

Mr. Cobain, thanks for being my gateway drug.

2 comments:

  1. I love that last picture of him. I don't think I've ever seen it which I find totally odd. Ah Kurt - what an important piece you played in our generations youth... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually scanned it from this amazing book called "cobain unseen." so many gems.

    ReplyDelete